Sunday, December 02, 2012

"Imagine..."

...a world in which folks made their favorite music.

I know I have - and I hope to convince you to do so as well. Now I don't mean at a professional level. That's reserved for those few of us who want (for reasons of our own) to pursue a career making music. I'm talking as a "hobbyist."

I know that "hobbyist" is a dirty word to some but consider what happens when someone has a hobby, whether it's following a sports team, collecting stamps or coins, or playing golf. It's NOT a source of income. It does take money and time and effort. So why do folks love their hobbies? Simple - that hobby brings them enormous pleasure. It enriches their lives mightily.

I'm just saying that purchasing an inexpensive keyboard and learning to play it and then playing your favorite music can be a wonderful hobby for anyone. I know, as I've taught folks (of all ages) to do this for 25 years and they tell me how much they love it. I recently talked to a very grateful lady whose son had taken lessons several years ago at age 10. He's now in college and returns to the house every so often and gives her a concert. He's kept up with his playing, you see. That's what I mean.

This hobby of making your favorite music is cheap when compared to the cost of golf, crafts, etc. Sure, you do have to purchase a keyboard. Sure, you do have to learn use it. Once all that is done, however, it's totally free of financial investment. Plus, you do get better and better (albeit slowly) and you can indulge on your own schedule.

Now isn't that cool? There no huge piano to buy which is so heavy it's hard to move. Keyboards are light, cheap, portable and you can plug headphones into them so nobody can hear you play - perfect for that 2 AM urge! I hope you'll contact me via email at danstarrorg@yahoo.com, for more info, should you decide to try it out as a new hobby.