Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Keyboard is NOT a Piano

The two things are different despite the Internet!

I just returned from "googling" using these search terms"keyboard lessons _______ (my area of this planet" and "keyboard teacher________" and I mostly found piano lessons and training.

Friends, despite the obvious advantages of a keyboard, it is NOT a piano. Sure, I know that the piano has been around for 300 years at least and has much better "press."

But a keyboard is NOT a piano.

I think that the fact that folks are buying more keyboards these days is a good thing.

Why?

Well, as I said above, the advantages are obvious. The primary one seems to be that the things are cheaper than "real" piano (one of my students pointed out that the opposite of "real" is "imaginary" but so many folks substitute "real" for "acoustic" that I'm using it.)

What I do NOT care for at all is the insistence of too many piano teachers that:

1. Mostly children can learn,
2. That you have to learn from a "real" piano.

Those few teachers that allow keyboards (more and more these days!) only use them to teach piano.

Too bad, as...

...there's one disadvantage of  a piano which you may not have thought of.

Now I used to work at one of the best local piano stores and I've played possibly the world's best pianos (as I define the term "best.")

These pianos only made one single sound, the sound of a piano. It's a fine sound but it's only one sound.

Keyboards make more sounds than that.

I do not wish to limit my musical creativity to a single sound, regardless of how good it is.

No comments: