Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Warning: Rant ahead!

There is not enough music making in our society for it's own good. 

Honest, that's what I think. And I'm a professional musician. However, it's only in western society that everyone does NOT participate. Instead, we divide our society into pros and listeners. Even Steve Jobs couldn't figure this one out. His ipod and ipad helped what I see as a really, really bad trend. And since western values and norms are permeating the entire world this means that this value will as well. And that's just too bad. Not everything in a culture is or even should be transferred.

And this is one that should NOT.

Frankly, most teachers would love to teach only "serious students" meaning those small number of folks that actually aspire to professionalism.

However, most people, the vast, vast majority do not desire to limit themselves to following a life based only on music. I know, cause I've done that and I would NOT wish it on someone I actually cared about.

No, most people would make music themselves if they could. They would relax after a hard day's work by making a few of their favorite tunes. Unfortunately, such people (and remember this is most people we are talking about!) can rarely find instruction geared to their actual goals.

I just wish more instructors saw things this way. Then perhaps we could reverse this trend in our society, and our society would become better in many ways.

No comments: