Thursday, January 22, 2015

Guitarists need to read this

It explains how to get really good and eclipse most other guitarists.

AKA: why "playing by ear" is a bad thing.

Lately, I have had a rash of folks telling me I ought to teach playing by ear. I simply laugh, cause I've seen the results of this. They are:

1. Never even being able to name what you are playing, which makes it really, really hard to tell anyone else, such as a bandmate or a person in a session.

2. Being stuck only playing what is already been written.

3. Being a bit late, except when you already know the answer through playing that song before.

Only one source of info for music? Well, that source will get really, really good. I've worked with guitarists who have better ears than my own. However, I do have a pretty good ear. Plus I've got two other ways of obtaining what to do. They are:

1. Simply knowing chords and their progressions. If you do this you are never late, cause you read ahead and are ready to play at the correct moment in time.

2. My understanding. I can write and improv in most styles. It's cause I know "what goes with what" (chord progressions) so well that I have issued three CDs of my own compositions.

Not trying to brag and for many folks this will not have the appeal of playing the latest tune. However, if you do want to "get good" you will heed my words.

Ask me for help for nothing. I will answer all who comment below (you can do so anonymously) or email me directly at danstarrorg410@gmail.com.

No comments: