Friday, October 11, 2013

A Tool to Help You Decide!

There IS a tool!
 
Should you buy a piano?

Should you buy a keyboard?

Should you learn to play at all?

It's very, very human to be divided on these topics, especially when your finances are low but "experts" are encouraging you to spend what little money you have...

Here's a tool to use. It's called a Pro & Con Chart. You've no doubt used them before as they are very, very helpful.

Such a toll can be used for literally anything, losing weight, starting to exercise, etc. I choose to use it to further my Mission of convincing folks to take up the keyboard rather than the acoustic piano.


A Pro and Con Chart of Buying a Piano vs. Buying a Keyboard

Buying a Piano

Pro:

It will be worth more in the future.
It's a great piece of furniture.
It was high tech when invented.
It sounds similar to what I'm used to.

Con:

It will cost a lot now.
Weighs a ton and is huge.
It will be expensive to maintain.
It only makes one sound.
It replicates songs okay but not perfectly.
Hard to learn.

Buying a Keyboard

Pro:

Cheap to purchase.
Never needs tuning, more savings.
Makes many sounds so doesn't limit creativity.
Since voice (song lyrics) are sung by wind instruments, replicates songs perfectly.
Easier to learn

Con:

Not very good resale value
Not good furniture
Not similar to what I'm used to.
Buying it will piss off my expert.

Obviously I prefer the keyboard to the piano, both to play and to teach. And I didn't even list every reason for my choice. But since this blog is basically about creativity, I don't want to limit my own creativity to a single sound, regardless of how good that sound is. And notice which is easier to learn to play, proven by me over the course of many years of teaching both instruments. Contact me or visit my website for more info.